God’s desire is for you to have Life – abundantly and eternal. Let me explain this by a poster I’ve once saw:
“Footprints in the sand” poster? …
“FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND”
One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD.
Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand: one belonging
to him, and the other to the LORD.
When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of
his life there was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times in his life.
This really bothered him and he
questioned the LORD about it:
“LORD, you said that once I decided to follow
you, you’d walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don’t understand why when
I needed you most you would leave me.”
The LORD replied:
“My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you.”
The single pair of footprints indicates the very nature of God’s loving care. He carries you when you can no longer walk the road of life alone. But at some point He will put you down on your feet again and allow you to walk next to Him. He won’t leave you or forsake you. (More on this later.) But the difficult part of your journey is eased by His presence. From this point on you can walk the road together with Him, knowing He is there to pick you up.
Salvation is not some mystical euphoria. It is based on FACT – the fact that God loves you, you sinned, He made a better way and that way is Jesus Christ. OK, you may feel you have no contact with this loving God. Let us help you to have an eternal Friend and Father. Four simple laws will lead you to have Him as Friend and Father:
- God loves you and has a plan for your life.
- God’s love: God so loved the world [that means all of us] that He gave his Son, so that who ever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
- God’s plan: Jesus said: I have come so that you may have life and have it more abundantly. (John 10:10)
- The second law shows the dilemma man is faced with.
- Man has sinned and is separated from God, thus denying him the love and plan God has for his life.
- We have sinned: For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Rom 3:23)
- Man has been separated from God: The wages of sin are death [death means here to be spiritually separated from God]. (Rom 6:23)
- The third law gives the solution.
- God made a better way and sent Jesus Christ as Saviour to bridge the separation man experiences.
- He died in our place, taking our sins on Him: But God shows his love for us in that Christ died for us when we were still sinners. (Rom 5:8)
- But He rose from the dead: And showed Himself to many while speaking of the things of the Kingdom of God. (Acts 1:3)
- He said of Himself: I am the Way, and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the father but by Me. (John 14:6)
- It is not sufficient to only know about these three laws.
- Accepting Jesus Christ as Saviour and knowing that He wants to be the bridge you need to get back to God.
- You have to personally accept Him as Saviour: But all that have accepted Him, to them He has given the power to become children of God, to those who believe in His Name. (John 1:12)
- You have to accept Him by faith: By grace you have been saved, by faith, and not by yourselves; it is grace from God… (Ephesians 2:8,9)
- By accepting Him as Saviour, you are responding to His call: Behold, I stand at the door and I knock. If someone hears my voice and opens the door, I will enter and go to him. (Rev 3:20)
You can accept Him at this very moment by faith which is expressed in prayer. If you have never prayed before, take the following as a prayer of faith:
Lord Jesus, I realise that I have tried to walk the road of life on my own and that I have sinned. I now open the door of my life to you and accept you as Lord and Saviour. Thank you that my sins have been forgiven and that you have given me eternal life. I ask you to take control of my life and guide me. Make me the type of person You want me to be.
If this prayer reflects what you are feeling right now, pray it and He will save you. But how can I be sure that I have been accepted by God through Jesus? Refer to Revelations 3:20. “Behold, I stand at the door and I knock. If someone hears my voice and opens the door, I will enter and go to him.” It is a promise! And He will keep it.
The Bible promises eternal life to each person who accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour: This I have written so that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 John 5:11-13). Remember that we said at the beginning that He will never forsake us? Here’s the proof: I will never leave you nor forsake you. (Hebrews 13:5).
Some guidelines are given here to assist you in the new walk in faith:
- Don’t depend on feelings. You don’t feel that you are accepted by God, you know it by faith. Read John 14:21.
- Now that you have accepted Him as Saviour, the following things have taken place or are about to take place:
- Christ Jesus has entered your life (Rev 3:20, Col 1:27)
- Your sins have been forgiven (Col 1:14)
- You have become a child of God (John 1:12)
- You have begun with the great adventure fro which you have been created by God in the first place (John 10:10; 2 Cor 5:14)
What a wonderful thought to know that God is not angry with me and that my sins have been forgiven! Why don’t you thank Him in prayer for this, right now?
What now? You are like a young plant, ready to grow, but will need some encouragement and a little help from your friends. Do the following:
- Prayer is important : Pray regularly, anywhere, anytime. Read John 15:7.
- Read the Bible : This is your main source of information, knowledge, growth and faith. Read Acts 17:11
- Be obedient : Obedience to God in everything you do is important. Read John 14:21.
- Proclaim your faith : Do this by word and deed. Read Matthew 4:19 and John 15:8.
- Show your newfound faith : Trust in God for EVERYTHING. Read 1 Peter 5:7.
- Treasure the Holy Spirit : Allow Him to control your life in every aspect. Read Gal 5:16 and Acts 1:8.
- Be part of the Body : Find a church. Find Christian friends. Join Bible study groups.
Lastly: Be abundantly blessed, in the name of Jesus Christ. Start by reading the Gospel of John! If you would like to get more information, feel free to contact us.